"I didn't make the reallocation when the Alert came out! (was on vacation, didn't see the email, the dog ate my homework...whatever)What do I do now?" -
Grow My TSP Subscriber.
It Depends is the most honest answer we can give.
It depends on a ton of variables including:
- What's your risk tolerance?
- How many reallocations have you done this month?
- How often do you want to reallocate?
- How closely do you watch the market?
- What time frame are we talking about?
- How close are you to retirement?
- Are you a Buy & Hold, Swing, or Trend trader?
- Do you trade on current events, market analysis or gossip?...
What seems like a simple question on its face is impossible to answer on an individual basis.
If you ask that simple question to a financial planner, they will do a deep dive into your personal circumstances and risk tolerance before even entertaining an answer; and you’ll pay a lot for it… But, it will probably be worth it!
Anyone else who gives you an answer to that question is either guessing, sharing conventional wisdom, or telling you what you want to hear. Beware!
The bottom line is, your TSP account is your responsibility. We can coach you but you need to do the work, know your left / right limits and have a plan..
Tough love I know. Get your plan together and get back in the game!
The Grow My TSP Team